Tender and succulent Easy oven baked meatballs! Ground beef and pork seasoned with Italian herbs and other simple everyday spices before baking in the oven to perfection.
These mini meatballs are perfect as appetizers with any dipping sauce of choice and they make a great weeknight dinner too. I love to serve mine with homemade marinara dipping sauce
Easy Oven Baked Meatballs Recipe
Are you looking for meatball appetizer recipes for a party? Well, today’s recipe will show you how to make the best meatballs that will not only be worthy of your parties but can be used for all occasions including dinner.
This recipe is easy and can be made ahead of time, best of all, it can used with any dipping sauce of choice. I served mine with my homemade marinara sauce and its always a hit.
These meatballs are packed full of delicious flavors, tender and juicy, no dry meatballs here, juicy to the last bite.
Dipping sauces for meatballs
The list is endless but here are popular dipping sauces that you and your guests will happily dip your meatballs into. You can but ready-made sauce but homemade is always better as you can adapt and customize it to taste.
Sweet and sour sauce
Cranberry sauce perfect at festive periods
Honey mustard dipping sauce
Honey bbq sauce
Ground beef: I used 85/20 fat content, ground beef is known as beef mince here in the UK
Ground pork: also known as pork mince in the UK, I used 90/10 fat content.
Panko breadcrumbs, substitute with normal breadcrumbs
Italian herbs, substitute with a combination of the following dried herbs, oregano, thyme, and parsley or herb de Provence.
Milk, this is used to moisten the meatballs.
Eggs, it acts a binder for the rest of the ingredients.
Onions, finely chopped or grated.
Garlic, I used fresh garlic but you can substitute with garlic powder.
Salt and black pepper
How to make easy oven baked meatballs
Preheat the oven at 200C/400F. Spray a non-stick baking sheet with some cooking oil/spray and set aside.
To a large mixing bowl, add ground pork, ground beef, breadcrumbs, Italian herbs, minced garlic, chopped onions, salt, and pepper, pour the milk all over the ingredients. Using your hands, gently combine the ingredients until it all comes together.
Using a spoon or a small cookie dough scooper, roll each meatball into a small ball, a little less than the size of a ping pong ball, and transfer to the baking sheet.
Bake in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown on the outside. Remove from the oven and transfer the meatballs into a serving bowl. Toss or serve with a dipping sauce of choice.
How to store
Fridge: Leftover meatballs can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Freezer: store in the freezer in a Ziploc bag or an airtight container for up to 1 month. Leave to thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating, this way, you do not end up with tough meatballs.
To reheat: the best way to reheat cooked meatballs is by warming it in the oven or in the air fryer at 180C/365F for 3 to 5 minutes or until warmed through. Be careful not to overcook it as the meatballs may become dry.
How long should you bake small meatballs?
Depending on the size of the meatballs, mini meatballs would typically cook between 12 to 15 minutes while large meatballs will take longer, say 20 to 35 minutes. if in doubt, use an instant-read thermometer, the internal temperature of cooked meatballs should read 160F/80C
Do I need to add milk to meatballs and what can I substitute with?
Milk is the secret to moist and tender meatballs! It is added to keep the meat moist while the egg is added to bind the rest of the ingredients together such as bread crumbs, seasoning, ground meat, and cheese if used. If you would rather not use milk in this recipe, you can substitute it with water. Do not fret, the meatballs will turn out perfectly well, tender and succulent.
How to freeze meatballs
For the best result, only freeze uncooked meatballs. Arrange the meatballs (space them out so they do not touch) on a lined baking tray in a single layer and flash freeze until solid. Transfer the frozen meatballs to Ziploc freezer bag, label with date, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Tips for making the best oven-baked meatballs
Here are simple dos and don’ts to nailing the perfect meatballs
- Do not overcook the meatballs if cooking in sauce, especially if you would be serving as an appetizer on a toothpick. You want the toothpick to be able to hold the meatballs without falling apart.
- Ensure to finely chop the onions to avoid the meat falling apart whilst cooking in the even. Alternatively, use a chopper for the chore.
- Roll the meatballs into similar sizes for even cooking
- Avoid tough meatballs, make sure you do not overmix the meat mixture. This is important!
- Do not overcrowd the baking sheet, allow some space for proper air circulation.
- Add about a tablespoon of homemade basil pesto sauce and grated parmesan cheese to the meatball mixture for some Italian flair.
More recipes you will love
Halloumi chips with sweet chili mayo dipping sauce
If you made this easy oven-baked mini meatballs recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag us @cravingsmallbites on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest.
Easy Oven Baked Meatballs (Mini Meatballs)
- 1 lb ground beef (450g) I used 85/20 fat content
- 1 lb ground pork (450g) I used 90/10 fat content
- ¾ cup Panko breadcrumbs substitute with normal breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp Italian herbs substitute with a combination of the followings dried herbs, oregano, thyme and parsley or herb de Provence.
- 1 cup milk I used semi skimmed milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup onions finely chopped or grated.
- 2 large garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven at 200C/400F. Spray a non-stick baking sheet with some cooking oil/spray and set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add ground pork, ground beef, breadcrumbs, Italian herbs, minced garlic, chopped onions, Worcestishire sauce,salt and pepper, pour the milk all over the ingredients. Using your hands, gently combine the ingredients until it all come together.
- Using a tablespoon or a small cookie dough scooper and spoop out the mixture, roll each meatball into a small ball, a little less than the size of a ping pong ball and transfer on the baking sheet. (add little oil to your palm to make it easy to roll the meatballs nicely)
- Bake in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown on the outside. Remove from the oven and transfer the meatballs into a serving bowl. Toss or serve with a dipping sauce of choice. Enjoy!
Can these be made without the bread? (for a low card version)
Yes, you can Massy. Add 2 tablespoons of milk to the meatball mixture or omit it completely if you prefer.
Very good mini meatball recipe. I had evaporated milk in the fridge so I use that instead of milk, did not have any ground pork so I just use 2 pounds of ground beef and, added shredded cheddar cheese. I made these for my 3year old grandson. The meatballs were so moist, tender, and delicious thank you for this recipe, I would recommend it
Thank you so much Denise for your feedback! I am glad you all enjoyed it.