These puff pastry cheese straws or should I say cheese twists are amazingly simple and easy to make. Store-bought puff pastry twisted with some medley of grated cheese then baked in the oven until nice and golden.
This 3 ingredients cheesy stick is perfect for dipping. A delicious appetizer for all gatherings and occasions.
Puff pastry cheese straws recipe
Don’t you just want to reach and grab one of these golden cheesy goodness? This is no stress, no fuss recipe, and it is unusual for me not to add extra spices or seasoning to anything that comes out of my kitchen. Check my mini sausage rolls recipe for what I am talking about.
I did make an exception with this recipe, as less is more. Three types of cheese are probably all I needed to spice and season the cheese twists. I am so pumped up sharing this simple recipe for making cheese straws with puff pastry with you. It is as easy as it gets.
Why you will love these homemade cheese twists
- No egg wash required but can use egg wash if you desire.
- Minimal ingredients, I have made this recipe the classic way but you can add any seasoning and spices of choice. Italian or Herb de Provence seasoning and paprika are great options
- Perfect for dipping
- 10 minutes prep and the oven does the rest. It is totally hands-free, no flipping required as well. All you need do is set the timer and put your feet up with a nice cup of iced coffee or tea and wait for the beep.
- You can make this recipe in the air fryer and it is ready in 15 minutes when cooked at 180C/360F.
Store-bought puff pastry, hats off to you if you can make yours at home from scratch. I don’t ever judge in this department, Never!
Cheese: I used a combination of cheddar cheese, red Leicester cheese, and parmesan cheese. Of course, red Leicester cheese can be subbed with any melty colored cheese of choice like yellow cheddar cheese or jack monetary
Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
How to make puff pastry cheese straws
Preheat the oven at 180C/365F then line a baking tray with parchment paper
Roll out 1 puff pastry on a lightly floured worktop or on parchment paper (see the photo below for reference)
Sprinkle half of the pastry with a grated cheese mixture and a few twists of freshly ground pepper to taste.
Fold the other half with no cheese over the cheesy pastry and press together with a rolling pin. (now you will have a smaller rectangle)
Sprinkle the remaining cheese and black pepper on the pastry and gently press down.
Cut the pastry into 10 equal strips, carefully twist each strip in opposite direction into a spiral, pinching both ends then transfer on the prepared baking sheet.
Line the cheese twist on the baking tray leaving some space to allow for expansion in the oven.
Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until nice and golden and the cheese melted.
Allow the cheese straws to cool completely before moving it to a serving bowl. It will crisp up as it cools.
Make sure the baked puff pastry is completely cooled before transferring it into a Ziploc bag or a dry airtight container. Keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat: simply pop it back in the oven and bake for about 3 minutes at 180C/365F
Can you freeze cheese straws
Yes, you can but for the best result, do not bake before you freeze them. Frozen cheese twists can be beaked from frozen, no need to let it thaw. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
How long do cheese twists keep
They are best served on the day you made them, however, they keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days in a freezer bag or an airtight container. Make sure the container is completely dry and do not store while it is still warm otherwise, it would be soggy.
How do I keep cheese straws crispy?
The secret is to allow it to cool completely before serving. The cooked pastry crisps up nicely as it cools.
More party appetizer recipe
Puff Pastry Cheese Straws (Cheese Twists)
- 1 roll puff pastry if using frozen puff pastry, make sure to let it thaw.
- ½ cup cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup yellow cheddar cheese grated or any other melthing cheese of choice.
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese greated
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven at 180C/365F then line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Roll out 1 puff pastry on a lightly floured worktop or on a parchment paper. Spinkle half of the pastry with grated cheese mixture and a few twist of freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Fold the other half with no cheese over the cheesy pastry and press together with a rolling pin. (now you will have a smaller rectangle)
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and black pepper on the pastry and gently press down.
- Cut the pastry into 10 equal strips, carefully twist each strip in opposite direction into spiral, pinching both ends then transfer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Line the cheese twist on the baking bray leaving some space to allow for expansion in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until nice and golden and the cheese melted.
- Allow the cheese straws to cool completely before moving it to a serving bowl. It will crisp up as it cools.