These ham and cream cheese roll ups with tortilla are perfect party appetizers or light meal options. It uses 5 ingredients and ready in 30 minutes. Tortilla roll-ups are fun to make and the cream cheese spread can be made ahead of time.
Let me show you how to make a crowd pleasing one with my step by step guide.
Ham and cheese roll ups recipe
There are so many reasons why these ham and cheese roll ups or should I say ham and cheese pinwheels should be on the table when you are hosting or making after school snacks for your family.
- These tortilla pinwheels are perfect for adults and kids alike and I can tell you it flies off the tray pretty quickly.
- It is easy and simple to make, more importantly super affordable.
- The cream cheese spread is utterly delicious and definitely a must for your holiday parties.
- Technically, ham and cheese tortilla rolls are sandwiches but they are perfect as an appetizer. It is versatile and can be served on game day, graduation parties, housewarming parties, work lunch, or potlucks.
What you will need to make it
Cream cheese: I used full fat but you can use low-fat cream cheese for a healthier option
Flour tortilla: this can be any type but I have used plain flour tortilla.
Smoked paprika: substitute with sweet paprika if using smoked ham
Salt and black pepper
Ham substitute in cream cheese tortilla pinwheel (variation ideas)
Apart from ham, cream cheese tortilla roll ups can be filled with any filling of choice. Also, you are not limited to flour tortilla only, you can use a whole wheat tortilla, spinach tortilla, garlic tortilla, beets tortilla, or any other flavors available to you. Here are some of the filling ideas I have tried and loved from vegan, vegetarian to meaty ones.
spinach tortilla filled with hummus and baby spinach leaves and carrots.
Cream cheese and chopped vegetables
Turkey and cheese roll ups
Hummus and carrots roll ups
Smoked salmon with cream cheese
Tuna and cream cheese and cheddar cheese
Taco and Mediterranean inspired flavours.
Cucumber roll ups just like cucumber sandwich
How to make ham and cream cheese roll ups with tortilla
In a large mixing bowl, combine softened cream cheese, chopped chives, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper (if using) and mix to combine.
Spread the cream cheese thinly on the tortilla, add ham slices and carefully roll into a log, repeat this process for the rest of the wraps and spread until you have exhausted them.
Wrap in a cling film (plastic bag) and transfer in the fridge for up to 2 hours.
Bring it out of the fridge just before serving, unwrap from the cling film, and cut the tortilla into about 1-inch slices. Serve and enjoy
For extra cheesy flavor, add some grated cheese of choice into the cream cheese spread.
To make the recipe gluten-free or healthier, skip the tortilla and use quality deli ham as the wrap. Store in the fridge for up to 1 hour so that it is easy to slice into.
Leftover tortilla roll ups can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 day in an airtight container. Please note that the wrap tends to become soft after a few hours but it should not affect the taste.
Can you make pinwheels a day ahead
Yes, you can, provided it will be used within 12 hours. You can make it the night before, roll in a cling film individually and cut it up on the day of use. Keeping it longer than 12 to 24 hours might result in a soggy or soft wrap especially if the filling is wet or have the ability to leak out water.
However, if you would be serving this to guests then you are best to make the spread a day before. On the day of use, fill the tortilla with the filling and chill in the fridge a few hours before slicing.
How do you keep tortilla roll ups from getting soggy
The best way to keep roll ups from getting soggy is by avoiding wet ingredients. Also, when you keep it in the fridge for longer than 12 hours, the tortilla wrap would be soft and the filling can make it soggy too.
More party recipes you should try
Ham and Cream Cheese Roll Ups with Tortilla
- 300 g cream cheese softened
- 10 deli ham
- 5 flour tortilla this can be any type but I have used plain flour tortilla.
- 1 tsp smoked paprika substitute with sweet paprika if using smoked ham
- ⅓ cup fresh chives chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste the salt is optional
- In a large mixing bowl, combine softened cream cheese, chopped chives, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper (if using) and mix to combine.
- Spread the cream cheese thinly on the tortilla, add ham slices and carefully roll into a log, repeat this process for the rest of the wraps and spread until you have exhausted them.tip: seal the wrap with some cream cheese so it stays in place when cutting into.
- Wrap in a cling film (plastic bag) and transfer in the fridge for up to 2 hours.
- Bring it out of the fridge just before serving, unwrap from the cling film and cut the tortilla into about 1 inch slices. Serve and enjoy