TikTok Yogurt Custard Toast!! TikTok is the gift that keeps on giving, and this time we’ve been blessed by the creatives of today, a great take on French Toast.
This is a great recipe to try out if you’ve got an air fryer, but don’t fret if you don’t have one, an oven or toaster oven will do just fine! If you love trending TikTok recipes then you will love today's fancy breakfast recipe
Why you will love this recipe
- Custard toast, or Yogurt toast, is an easy, 15-minute recipe that only requires 5 ingredients: toast, yogurt, eggs, honey (or maple syrup), and your choice of fresh berries! Unlike French Toast, this recipe doesn’t require submerging the bread in a milk-and-egg mix and creates much less mess; simply spoon the custard onto the bread, garnish with fruits, and air-fry (or bake)!
- Traditional custard can take up to 30 minutes to make and requires more refined technical skills to master, but this is such an easy and quick recipe that even the most inexperienced chefs can master this delicious snack. in 15 minutes with minimal mess.
- It makes an amazing breakfast, brunch and can also be served as a dessert, simply swap plain white bread for brioche bread.
Related post: If you love Tiktoks viral recipes then you will love this air fryer pasta chips.
What is custard toast
Custard toast is a dish made of bread and yogurt custard (a combination of egg, yogurt, and honey). The bread is usually covered in a thick yogurt-based custard mixed with spices and flavorings like vanilla extract, nutmeg, cinnamon, or cardamom. It can also be topped with fresh fruits, choc chips or compotes.
I am not sure where the recipe originated from, I stumbled upon it on Tiktok and it's been a hit every time I make it.
Sliced soft white bread: I recommend thick sliced bread for this recipe
Greek yogurt substitute with heavy cream or plain yogurt
Honey substitute with maple syrup for a touch of sweetness, the honey actually compliments the tartness of the Greek yogurt
Nutmeg: This is optional but recommended as it adds flavor to the custard
Fruits: Handful strawberries, blueberries, and/or raspberries, to garnish
Icing sugar for dusting
How to make viral TikTok custard toast in air fryer
Begin by preheating your air fryer at 190ºC (375ºF) while you prepare your custard and toast.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, honey (or maple syrup), egg, pinch of salt, and nutmeg (if using) and mix well until completely combined. You should have a fairly thin mix that is easy to spoon onto bread.
Using the back of a spoon or your fingertips, press down the middle of the bread to create an indentation that will hold your custard mix. Place the bread in the preheated air fryer basket.
Spoon your custard evenly onto your slices of bread leaving about 1 cm around the edges.
Decorate your toast with your choice of berries: sliced strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries (check out the FAQs for fun and healthy topping options!).
Air fry for 7 minutes until golden brown and the custard is set.
Serve warm and enjoy!
Custard toast oven instructions
Preheat the oven at 190ºC (375ºF) and follow the same steps as written above! Bake for 10-15 minutes in a baking tray lined with parchment paper until golden brown.
This toast is best served fresh and will not hold well over time as the toast will go stale and soggy. Good thing it’s easy and quick to make!
- If using an air fryer, place each custard toast on a piece of parchment paper to avoid getting a mess! Easy clean-up guaranteed.
- If you want your custard extra creamy, you can use the egg yolk rather than the whole egg! However, the egg whites add an element of protein to the dish. To avoid eggy smell from the custard, add a dash of vanilla essence to the custard.
- Not all ovens or air fryers are created the same so do keep an eye on the toast so it doesn't burn. For reference, this recipe was tested in Cosori 5.5L XL (1700W) oven and my integrated oven.
- Use thick bread slices as this will hold the custard well without sipping through.
- You can make this recipe gluten-free or dairy-free by substituting the bread and yogurt accordingly.
Watch how to make it
How long should I cook my custard toast for
If using an air fryer, cooking the toast for 7 minutes at 190ºC (375ºF) is perfect for golden-brown, toasted yet still soft and creamy in the middle. For extra crunchy toast, add 2-3 minutes to your time!
If baking in the oven, bake at the same temperature for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown and to your liking.
What other toppings can I use on my toast?
The recipe was created using strawberries and blueberries, but feel free to go wild! Use sliced bananas, chopped-up chocolate (or choc chips), sliced mango, add some crushed nuts or even a swirl of nut butter!
The toast is your canvas and your toppings is your paint – get as creative as you like.
Healthy toast toppings you should try
We all like to be a little extra with our health, so here are some exciting ways to add some nutritional benefits to your toast:
- Seed it up! Add seeds after baking: chia seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds are full of plant-based protein, omega-3s, and fiber.
- Add protein powder to your custard mix: want to add some protein? Mix in a tablespoon of your favorite protein powder in your custard mix before spooning onto your toast and cook as normal!
- Add nut butter: just when your custard is well combined, add a tablespoon of your favorite nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, pistachio butter) to the mix and slowly fold in to create swirls – don’t over-mix! Spoon the custard as normal and bake/air-fry. This adds additional flavor, protein, and healthy fats to nourish your brain!
Yogurt Custard Toast (TikTok Custard Toast)
- 4 sliced soft white bread sub with thick brioche
- 1 Large egg
- ½ cup Greek yogurt sub with heavy cream or plain yogurt
- 2 Tablespoon honey substitute with maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg this is optional but recommended as it adds flavor to the custard
- Handful strawberries, blueberries, and/or raspberries, to garnish
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat your air fryer at 190ºC / 375ºF for 3-5 minutes while you prepare your custard and toast.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, honey (or maple syrup), egg, pinch of salt, and nutmeg (if using) and mix well until completely combined. You should have a fairly thin mix that is easy to spoon onto bread.
- Using the back of a spoon or your fingertips, press down the middle of the bread to create an indentation that will hold your custard mix. Place the bread in the preheated air fryer basket.
- Spoon your custard evenly onto your slices of bread leaving about 1 cm around the edges so it doesn't overflow.
- Decorate your toast with your choice of berries: sliced strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries
- Air fry the custard toast for 6-7 minutes until golden brown and the custard is set.
- Serve warm and enjoy with some more honey drizzled over the toast or powdered sugar dusting.
Custard toast oven instructions
- Preheat the oven at 190ºC / 375ºF and follow the same steps as written above! Bake for 10-15 minutes in a baking tray lined with parchment paper until golden brown and custard set.