If you love apple dessert then this air fryer baked apples topped with oat crumbles is for you. It is easy to put together and you can have this delicious and tender baked apple dessert from your air fryer to your plate in 15 minutes.
Serve with vanilla ice cream or custard or yogurt for a healthier option, let me show you how to make it easy steps
Why this recipe works
- It is easy and quick!
- You only need a handful of ingredients
- Air fryer baked apple is healthy and delicious.
- Delicious, comforting apple dessert you and your family would love
- It can be enjoyed as a snack or dessert. I like it both ways provided it is served with ice cream or custard.
- It can be made in the oven if you don't have an air fryer or you are cooking a latge batch. Yes, you can make baked apples in the microwave as well.
What you will need to make air fryer apples
Mixed spice: substitute with cinnamon
Slightly salted butter: substitute with unsalted butter
How to make air fryer baked apples
Wash and pat the apples dry, core and cut into halves (you will have 4 apple halves in total)
To a small bowl add porridge oat, flour, brown sugar, ginger powder, mixed spice. Cinnamon, butter, and rub together to form crumbs.
Place the apples in a baking dish and place the baking dish in the air fryer basket then squeeze fresh lemon on them. Tip: slice a teeny tiny bit off the base of the apples so it sits properly in the air fryer basket.
Spoon the oat topping on the apples and cook in the air fryer for @ 180C/360F for 15 minutes
Serve air fryer baked apples warm with vanilla ice cream, custard, or yogurt for a healthier option.
Tip: You can bake the apples directly in the air fryer basket. I prefer to use an oven-safe baking dish to reduce cleanup and also enjoy every last bit of the crumbles.
What apples are best for cooking
Each apple variety has its own taste and texture so my answer is always - use what you have at home depending on the recipes you are making.
That said, the best cooking apples are the ones that are able to hold their shapes after cooking. If you are making an apple pie, it would be great if the apples hold their shape after cooking.
Cortland, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Braeburn are some of the popular firm apple varieties that will work well in baking or cooking recipes.
Can I make baked apples in air fryer toaster oven
Yes, you can cook baked apples in air fryer toaster oven. Place the apple in the middle shelf and simply follow the steps in the recipe and cook the apples for 12-15 minutes or until the apples are soft.
Can I use apple slices instead of a whole apple?
Yes, you can use apple slices instead of a whole apple. Slice the apples about 1 cm thick and top with the oat filling. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Is baked apples weight watchers friendly
Yes, baked apple is healthy especially when you make some healthy swaps. you can skip or reduce the sugar used in this air fryer recipe. Also, substitute the ice cream for low-fat yogurt and ice cream.
How to store
It is best to finish this air fryer baked apple dessert within the first 24 hours. However, if covered well with cling wrap or stored in an airtight container and stored in the fridge, it may last for 2 days. Reheat in the air fryer or the microwave.
Why do we add lemon juice to apples
We add lemon juice so that the apples don't turn brown, the lemon prevents oxidization which helps the apple stay whiter for longer.
More easy air fryer recipes
Air fryer frozen mozzarella sticks
How to cook frozen wings in the air fryer
Air fryer bacon-wrapped Brussels sprouts
If you made this easy air fryer baked apple recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag us @cravingsmallbites on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest
Air Fryer Baked Apples
- 2 large apples
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup porridge oats
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- 50 g cold butter cut into small cubes
- Wash and pat the apples dry, core and cut into halves (you will have 4 apple halves in total) there is no need to peel the apples.
- To a small bowl add porridge oat, flour, brown sugar, ginger powder, mixed spice. Cinnamon, butter, and rub together to form crumbs.
- Place the apples in a baking dish and place the baking dish in the air fryer basket then squeeze fresh lemon on them. Tip: slice a teeny tiny bit off the base of the apples so it sits properly in the air fryer basket.
- Spoon the oat topping on the apples and cook in the air fryer for @ 180C/360F for 12-15 minutes or until the apples are tender to your liking.
- Serve air fryer baked apples warm with vanilla ice cream, custard, or yogurt for a healthier option.
Leave a Reply