These air fryer chicken drumsticks are tender and juicy with crispy golden skin and bursting with flavours. You can eat it on its own as it is or with any dipping sauce of choice.
Chicken drumsticks are perfect for entertaining, they are quick and easy to make and loved by both adults and children. Serve with some potato salad, French fries, potato wedges, salad and more.
Simple chicken drumsticks recipe
Have you ever thought of having fried drumstick recipes with a healthy perspective? Then this air fryer chicken leg recipe is for you, you are guaranteed crispy chicken skin without the excess oil you would need if you fried it.
This air fryer chicken drumsticks with no breading is about to be your favourite way of eating chicken. Great flavours that will leave you asking for more.
This chicken recipe is effortlessly easy, thanks to the air fryer and of course the chicken drumsticks seasoning. 6 ingredients and that includes salt and pepper is all you need to boost the flavours of the chicken instantly without the need to marinate.
The 6-ingredient seasoning, the timing, the temperature and everything all together makes this chicken recipe amazingly delicious.
This recipe is
- Low carb
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Keto friendly
- Easily customisable to taste
Why use an air fryer
The air fryer technology is the most healthy and flavorful technique of having fried recipes with little or no oil in a few minutes. In an air fryer, hot air rushes through and around the food, rapid circulation heat makes the food crispy like deep frying with little to no oil at all.
Food can be cooked in batches if you want it freshly hot and in most cases takes half the time it would in a conventional oven or grill.
More importantly, clean up is easy when you cook in the air fryer.
Chicken drumsticks seasoning ingredients
Dried tarragon: substitute dried tarragon with dill, basil, coriander, marjoram, savory, or parsley (although not a close substitute in flavour but it will work too)
How to cook chicken drumsticks in the air fryer
Season the chicken and preheat the air fryer: set the air fryer to 200C/400F and preheat for 3 to 5 minutes. Move on to prep the chicken, pat each chicken leg with a kitchen paper towel. Transfer to a large mixing bowl or a Ziploc bag then season with smoked paprika, garlic granules, white pepper, tarragon, salt and olive oil. Give it a good mix until well coated and set aside.
You can marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes or longer in the fridge if time is not of the essence.
Carefully arrange the chicken legs in the air fryer basket in a single layer. I use COSORI 5.7Lt air fryer, it is rectangular in shape and I was able to fit 8 large chicken legs in it at once.
Air fry: Cook the chicken at 200C/400F for 20 to 25 minutes or until well cooked and the internal temperature registers 165F/73C. Make sure to flip the chicken halfway through the cooking time for even cooking.
Remove the chicken from the air fryer as soon as it is finished cooking so it doesn’t dry out with the residual heat. Transfer to a plate and rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Although, preheating the air fryer for some recipes are optional, I find that it is important when cooking meat like chicken. Remember the air fryer still works like an oven, preheating the air fryer means the food starts cooking immediately it hits the air fryer basket.
- If you would be coating the chicken with sauces like teriyaki, honey soy or bbq then you can brush it on the chicken about 5 minutes to the end of the cooking time.
- To be sure about the doneness of the chicken, the best method is to use an instant meat thermometer. The internal temperature of cooked chicken would register 165F/73C. If you do not have a meat thermometer, you can cut open one of the chickens, if the juice runs clear, the chicken is white and no blood insight then it is safe to eat.
How to Store
If you are lucky to have any left to store! Then you can store it using the following
Fridge: Place leftover cooked chicken drumsticks in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days, before storing make sure it is completely cooled.
Freezer: You can freeze the uncooked seasoned chicken drumsticks for up to 3 months. But if you have air-fried chicken drumsticks to freeze, then place it in an airtight container or bag and keep it for up to 1 month
To reheat: simply pop the drumsticks in the microwave for a few minutes until warm enough to your liking. Alternatively, reheat in the air fryer for 3 to 6 minutes at 165C/350F or until warm/hot enough to your liking.
What to serve with chicken drumsticks
Wondering what to eat with drumsticks, generally, you can serve it with salad, rice or any potato recipe, I like to serve mine with the following
Can you stack chicken legs in an air fryer?
Do not stack the chicken legs in an air fryer, the tenderness and the taste will get affected. The technique of hot air circulating the chicken drumsticks will be interrupted, so let the steam cook through the chicken drumsticks for better crisp and juiciness.
Don’t own an air fryer, how long do I cook chicken drumsticks in the oven
At Least you need to cook chicken drumsticks for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through so you can have tender, juicy, and crispy golden brown result. The internal temperature should reach 165℉/73C.
Can I cook frozen drumsticks?
Yes! Pre-Seasoned or plain frozen chicken drumsticks can be cooked in a preheated air fryer at 200℃/400℉ for 15 minutes, then remove the basket and rotate the drumsticks and continue to cook for another 10 minutes. Flipping is important for tender and evenly cooked crispy chicken drumsticks.
How Long to Cook drumsticks in an Air Fryer
Chicken drumsticks are the lower section of the whole leg with bone-in. It looks similar to drumsticks. Chicken thighs or legs are considered dark meat because they take longer to cook. chicken legs have higher fat content and density, and bone-in cuts require extra time to cook.
An average chicken drumstick will take 20-30 minutes at 200℃/400℉ to cook in the air fryer depending on the size and how crispy you like it. After 15 minutes flip it for even cooking. Chicken drumsticks is done when the skin is crispy and the internal temperature reaches 165℉/73C.
More air fryer recipes
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- Air Fryer
- 8 large chicken drumsticks
- ½ Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon substitute dried tarragon with dillbasil, coriander, marjoram, savory, or parsley
- 2 teaspoon garlic granules
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Season the chicken and preheat the air fryer: set the air fryer to 200C/400F and preheat for 3 to 5 minutes. Move on to prep the chicken, pat each chicken leg with a kitchen paper towel. Transfer to a large mixing bowl or a Ziploc bag then season with smoked paprika, garlic granules, white pepper, tarragon, salt and olive oil. Give it a good mix until well coated and set aside. You can marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes or longer in the fridge if time is not of the essence.
- Carefully arrange the chicken legs in the air fryer basket in a single layer. I use COSORI 5.7Lt air fryer, it is rectangular in shape and I was able to fit 8 large chicken legs in it at once.
- Cook the chicken at 200C/400F for 20 to 25 minutes or until well cooked and the internal temperature registers 165F/73C. Make sure to flip the chicken halfway through the cooking time for even cooking.
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer as soon as it is finished cooking so it doesn’t dry out with the residual heat. Transfer to a plate and rest for about 5 minutes before serving.