Marinated feta cheese in chili garlic-infused oil! impress your guest with this delicious, marinated cheese as an appetizer for your next party or gathering. It is quick, easy, and can be made ahead. Serve with crackers, pita chips, or salad.
Why this marinated cheese is so good
It is cost-effective especially if you are hosting more than 10 people and would make a great addition to a mezze platter or tapas platter. Allow about 3 feta cubes per guest.
It is light, creamy, and fresh, thanks to the subtle hint of citrus flavor from the lemon zest.
Aesthetically pleasing, the chopped herbs and chili brings life to the overall look of the starter. It is a must-have at your party especially if hosting a guest that loves cheese.
You can flavour the marinated cheese however you want. I love marinating it in my homemade garlic infused oil with the herbs I have on hand.
If you love this recipe already then you will love my quick and easy marinate tomatoes recipe.
Good quality extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
How to make marinated feta cheese
First, you make the garlic chili-infused oil: peel and smash a couple of garlic cloves with the back of a knife then set aside. Place a small saucepan on low heat, add extra virgin olive oil, smashed garlic and red pepper flakes (or chipotle pepper), bay leaves, and bring to a gentle boil for 15 minutes. take it off the heat and leave it to cool completely. Using a small sieve strain the oil and store in a jar.
Prep the feta cheese: Remove the cheese from its packaging and cut the feta into small cubes then transfer to a shallow bowl or mason jar. Sprinkle some freshly cracked black pepper, red pepper flakes, and zest of 1 lemon on the cheese.
Marinate the cheese: To a small mixing bowl, add the garlic-chili-infused oil, chopped parsley, dill, chives, salt, and black pepper and mix to combine.
Pour the herby oil on the feta until covered. Cover with a clingfilm and place in the fridge for up to 1 hour before serving if time is of the essence or 24 hours for the flavour to fully develop.
What to serve it with
Marinated feta is great with crusty bread. I like to serve it with crostini, toast points, or pita chips. It is not limited to bread alone, you can serve it with any crackers of choice and it is also perfect on salad.
- Try and spend extra dollars or pounds on the feta, opt for feta cheese that is soft and still crumbly. It absorbs the marinade nicely and easily spreadable on bread and crackers.
- Use as many herbs as you desire, you can also use dried herbs if you are unable to source fresh ones.
- Get another use of the marinating oil, drizzle it on pasta, or use it as a salad dressing.
- Leftover feta cheese can be crumbled over pasta and salad for midweek lunch or dinner.
- Double or triple the recipe to accommodate your needs
How to store marinated feta cheese
Store in an airtight container or mason jar. This cheese gets better with flavour as it keeps in the fridge. It will last up to 1 week in the fridge and the oil can last a long longer.
Watch how to make it
More appetizer recipes
If you love dips with your chips then you will love this creamy feta dip or air fryer camembert. It is quick, easy, and requires minimal effort.
Crostini ricotta appetizer topped with marinated tomatoes and sundried tomatoes
Bread dipping oil and Caprese skewers are perfect with any crusty bread or toast points
Dry rub chicken wings because no party is complete without party wings.
Halloumi fries and dipping sauce.
If you made this easy party appetizer recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag us @cravingsmallbites on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest
Marinated Feta Cheese with Garlic Infused Oil
- 200 g feta cheese
- ¾ cup good quality virgin olive oil
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp dill chopped
- 1 tbsp chives chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
make the garlic chili-infused oil
- Peel and smash a couple of garlic with the back of a knife then set aside. Place a small saucepan on low heat, add extra virgin olive oil, smashed garlic and red pepper flakes, bay leaves, and bring to a gentle boil for 15 minutes. take it off the heat and leave it to cool completely. Using a small sieve strain the oil and store it in a jar.
Prep the feta cheese
- Remove the cheese from its packaging and cut the feta into small cubes then transfer to a shallow bowl. Sprinkle some freshly cracked black pepper, red pepper flakes, and zest of 1 lemon on the cheese
- Marinate the cheese: To a small mixing bowl, add the garlic-infused oil, parsley, dill, chives, and black pepper and mix to combine.
- Pour the herby oil on the feta until covered. Cover with a cling film and place in the fridge for up to 1 hour before serving if time is of the essence or 24 hours for the flavor to fully develop.
Leave a Reply