Cooking frozen hash browns in the air fryer is such a breeze, once you learn how to cook these delicious and crispy shredded potato patties in the air fryer you'll never go back to the oven again! This quick and easy method yields perfectly crispy hash brown every time.
Air fryer frozen hash browns
Here in the UK, your English breakfast is not complete without a side of hash browns. In America, they are known as shredded potatoes or pan-fried potatoes, although, you may also know them as tater tots (mini hashed browns). No matter what you call them, these little shredded potato gems are delicious!
They can be made from scratch with a handful of ingredients and minimal prep. However, if you are looking for convenience, then frozen is the best way to go.
There are a few things to know before cooking frozen hashbrowns in an air fryer. First, you'll want to make sure your hash browns are not thawed before cooking them. If they are, they'll cook unevenly and won't get as crispy.
Secondly, as opposed to popular opinion that you don't always need to preheat your air fryer before you cook in it. I strongly disagree when making frozen foods, preheating the air fryer gives frozen food such as hash brown a good head-start. It is true the air fryer heats up pretty quickly but that still takes about a minute or two depending on the brand and wattage of your air fryer. It will only take a few minutes to preheat it, so do it for the best results.
What is hash brown?
Hash browns are potato that has been shredded, seasoned, and molded into patties. Mostly served as a side dish with breakfast, commercially made hashed browns are shaped into triangles or rectangles. They are then pan-fried or deep-fried until crispy.
You can also make them in the oven, but thanks to the air fryer, you can now make it in half the time you will spend if you used the air fryer and still get the same crispy results if not a better result! Hash browns are delicious and can be served as a side dish or appetizer
Why you will love cooking frozen hash browns in the air fryer
- They cook evenly and come out crispy on the outside and soft on the inside
- There is no need to thaw them first, they are best cooked directly from frozen.
- No additional oil is needed to cook these frozen hash browns crispy as they are already precooked with oil. They cook in a fraction of the time as compared to oven cooking.
What you'll need
1 bag of frozen hash brown patties
Salt and black pepper to taste
How to cook frozen hash browns in the air fryer
Preheat the air fryer at 200C/400F for 3-5 minutes
Carefully place the frozen hash browns patties in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes, flip and continue to air fry for another 4-5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy to your liking.
Sprinkle with salt and black pepper if desired, serve and enjoy!
The cooking time for frozen hash browns may vary a bit depending on the thickness, and your air fryer brand. I recommend you start checking on them at about the 8-minute mark to make sure they don't overcook.
Do not overcrowd the air fryer and make sure that the hashed browns are not overlapped in the air fryer to avoid a soggy mess and uneven cooking.
If cooking in batches, make sure to adjust to reduce the cooking time by a minute or two or as needed.
How to store
Any leftover cooked hash browns can be stored in an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. They can also be frozen for up to 2 months. When ready to eat, reheat in the air fryer at 200C/400F for 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
Frozen Hash browns In Air Fryer
- Air Fryer
- 6-10 frozen hash brown patties
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the air fryer at 200C/400F for 3-5 minutes
- Carefully place the frozen hash brown patties in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes, flip and continue to air fry for another 4-5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy to your liking.
- Sprinkle with salt and black pepper if desired, serve and enjoy!
- The cooking time for frozen hash browns may vary a bit depending on the thickness, and your air fryer brand. I recommend you start checking on them at about the 8-minute mark to make sure they don't overcook.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer and make sure that the hashed browns are not overlapped in the air fryer to avoid a soggy mess and uneven cooking.
Are frozen hash brown precooked
Yes, most commercially frozen hash browns are partially cooked and need to be finished in the oven, on the stovetop, or in an air fry before consumption.
Where can I buy hash browns
Most supermarkets and convenience stores sell them. They are usually located in the frozen food section. The following are some of the most well-known brands, according to your location:
- Birds Eye
Are hash brown gluten-free
Most hash browns are made with potatoes and as such are gluten-free. But do check the label to be sure as some brands add wheat flour or other ingredients that may contain gluten.