These air fryer bell peppers and onions are the perfect sizzling healthy side dish for your next meal. It is easy and quick to make, tastes delicious, and packed full of flavor. Best of all, it only takes about 8 minutes to cook, let me show you how to make the best air fryer peppers you will love.
If you have ever questioned or wondered if you can cook peppers and onions in the air fryer, the answer is YES! It is a quick and easy way to cook them, and they come out perfect every time. No need to light up the stove and no more endless sauteeing to make this flavourful healthy side dish.
You will get the same if not a better result than you would if you used the oven. The air fryer gives the peppers and onions a nice char without making them mush. You can serve it with just about anything or eat it as it is as a healthy snack.
Why you will love this recipe
- It is budget-friendly, and you can easily double or triple the recipe to feed a larger crowd.
- This is a quick and easy side dish that only takes minutes to make in the air fryer and cleanup is a breeze.
- Highly nutritious, naturally vegetarian, vegan, low carb, keto-friendly, and gluten-free
- Air fried bell peppers are versatile and you can serve it with just about anything, from rice to tacos, fajitas, wraps, and many more.
- It can be made ahead of time, is great for meal prepping, and keeps well in the fridge.
Bell peppers: I used a combination of yellow, red, and green bell peppers. You can use any combination of colors that you like or substitute with sweet mini bell peppers.
Onion: I used white onions, I love it for its sweetness but you can use any type of onion that you like.
Smoked paprika: substitute with sweet paprika
Garlic granules: substitute with garlic powder
White wine vinegar: any type of vinegar will work for this recipe and it can be completely omitted if you prefer.
Olive oil: substitute with any flavorless oil of choice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make air fryer bell peppers and onions
Destem and deseed the peppers and slice them into thin strips (about 1cm thick). Peel the onion and roughly chop it to the same size as the peppers.
Place the sliced peppers and chopped onions in a large bowl, season with smoked paprika, garlic granules, salt and pepper, olive oil, and vinegar, toss them to combine.
Transfer the peppers and onions to the air fryer basket, spread them out, and air fry at 180C/360F for 6-8 minutes shaking the basket halfway through.
Remove from the air fryer and serve as desired.
How to serve air fryer bell peppers and onions
Serve immediately as a healthy side dish with your favorite protein or carbs. I like to serve it with grilled chicken, hot dogs, wings, fish, rice, quinoa, and tortillas. You can also add them to wraps, tacos, fajitas, stirred in feta dip, or as crostini appetizer toppings. It is versatile, just make it your own!
- Season the peppers and onions with any herbs and seasoning of choice.
- Roast the peppers whole of you prefer, simply destem, dressed and cut in halves. Brush with a little oil and air fry until cooked and charred on the skin.
- Use fresh ingredients for the best flavor.
- If using frozen peppers, make sure to cook directly from frozen. Note that the peppers will release more moisture and may not be as crispy if you used fresh ones.
How to store
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 4-5 days. It can also be frozen for 1-2 months.
To reheat, place them in the fridge overnight to thaw if frozen. Microwave or reheat on the stovetop.
Air Fryer Bell Peppers And Onions
- Air Fryer
- 3 bell peppers
- 1 large onion about 1 cup chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar sub with red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Destem and deseed the peppers and slice them into thin strips (about 1cm thick). Peel the onion and roughly chop it to the same size as the peppers.
- Place the sliced peppers and chopped onions in a large bowl, season with smoked paprika, garlic granules, salt and pepper, olive oil, and vinegar, toss them to combine.
- Transfer the peppers and onions to the air fryer basket, spread them out, and air fry at 180C/360F for 6-8 minutes shaking the basket halfway through.Remove from the air fryer and serve as desired.
How long to air fry peppers and onions
This cooking time will depend on the size and brand of your air fryer and more importantly, the quantity of the peppers and onions you are air frying. If you want it tender-crisp then cook at 180C/360F for 5 minutes shaking the basket halfway through. Cook it for longer if you want it soft but still tender but not soggy.
Can I air fry frozen peppers and onions
Yes, you can air fry frozen peppers and onions, adjust the cooking time slightly so that you don't end up with soggy or undercooked peppers.
Can I make this without vinegar
If you don't have vinegar or would like to omit it then just season with salt, pepper, and olive oil. However, the vinegar will add a nice tart flavor to the dish.
More air fryer recipes you will love
If you made this easy air fryer recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag us @cravingsmallbites on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest
Leave a Reply