Potatoes are a versatile vegetable that can be used in many dishes cooking your spud in the air fryers are a healthy alternative as very little oil is needed. No need to worry about extra calories and fat. You'll never go back to messy and oily deep-frying again once you try this crispy air fryer cubed potato recipe!
Serve them as a side dish to your favorite breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It only takes about 15 minutes to make this healthy recipe. Let me show you how to make it
Related post: air fryer smashed potatoes
How this air fryer diced potatoes are different from Parmentier potatoes
Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, this air fryer diced potatoes are similar to Parmentier potatoes size-wise. The two however differ in some significant ways. The traditional Parmentier potatoes are prepared using garlic and herbs and are parboiled before cooking. However, air fryer potatoes are prepared using any seasoning of choice and there is no need to parboil the spuds before cooking
This recipe is dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free, and can be served however you liked. They can be paired with steak, eggs, bacon, fish, or any other meat dish.
Why will you love this recipe
Healthy: Air-fried diced potatoes are a great and healthier alternative to those baked in an oven or fried in oil or butter. It's a fun and easy recipe to make, and it tastes just as good as roasted potatoes.
Effortless Recipe: The best thing about this recipe is that it is effortless to make and easy to follow. The ingredients are all-natural, and most of them are pantry staples.
Kid-Friendly: These air fryer diced potatoes make an excellent snack for the whole family. Especially, your picky eater kids will love these mini, crispy, and crunchy diced potatoes.
Best potatoes to make this recipe
I personally love to make my diced potato recipe with all-rounder potatoes such as Maris Piper potatoes due to its crispy, crunchy and fluffy outcome after air frying. However, you can use any other potato according to your flavor and texture preference.
Salt and black pepper
How to cook air fryer diced potatoes
Preheat the air fryer at 180C/360F for 3-5 minutes or, according to your air fryer brand (Instant vortex preheats automatically).
Peel and dice the potatoes then rinse a few times under cool running water to get rid of any excess starch. Pat, it dry using a paper towel (there is no need to soak the potatoes)
Transfer the diced potatoes to a medium bowl and season with cajun seasoning, olive oil, salt, and black pepper and mix to combine.
Place seasoned potatoes in the air fryer basket and cook for 12-15 minutes, flipping the potatoes or shaking the basket halfway to ensure they are cooked through and evenly.
Remove them from the air fryer once they've turned golden and fork-tender, and serve them with a meal of your choice or a dipping sauce.
How to dice potatoes into cubes
Using a sharp knife, cut the potato lengthwise into two pieces on a chopping board with one hand holding it firmly.
Place the two cut sides flat on the chopping board, and cut each half into 2 or 3 lengthwise. (like chunky steak fries)
Cut each potato stick into small cubes about 1 inch, depending on how big the potato is and the size you want, you should have between 8 to 12 potato cubes or even more. Use as desired
What to serve with diced potatoes
Cubed potatoes can serve as a side dish or a part of your main dish. In most cases, they can be served with fried eggs, dipping sauce, and meat dishes, such as meatballs, pot roast, or meatloaf. It can also go well with vegetable dishes and salads.
- Avoid overcrowding the potatoes in the basket for even cooking, cook the potatoes in batches if need be. The next batch would cook a lot quicker as the air fryer is already hot.
- Don't skip the oil, it helps in crisping the potatoes.
- You may leave the skin on or peel it off, it's totally up to you, make sure you scrub the spud clean if you do decide to leave the skin on.
- You can use any seasoning of your choice to flavor the potatoes, such as garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, or simply salt and pepper. Just be sure to adjust the amount you use according to your taste preferences.
- Maris Piper, King Edward, Yukon gold, russets, and red potatoes are highly recommended for this recipe due to their higher starch content and crispy cooking results.
- The cooking time may vary depending on the size of the potato cubes and your air fryer wattage, so keep an eye on them after 10 minutes of cooking.
How to store leftover cubed potatoes
Store leftover in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place the spud in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for about 1-2 minutes or until heated through. You can also reheat it in the air fryer @160C/325F for 5-7 minutes shaking the basket halfway.
Air Fryer Diced Potatoes
- Air Fryer
- 2.2 pounds potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the air fryer at 180C/360F for 3-5 minutes or, according to your air fryer brand (Instant vortex preheats automatically if that is what you are using).
- Peel and dice the potatoes then rinse for a few times under cool running water to get rid of any excess starch. Pat it dry using a paper towel (there is no need to soak the potatoes)
- Transfer the diced potatoes to a medium bowl and season with cajun seasoning, olive oil, salt, and black pepper and mix to combine.
- Place seasoned potatoes in the air fryer basket and cook for 12-15 minutes, flipping the potatoes or shaking the basket halfway to ensure they are cooked through and evenly.
- Remove them from the air fryer once they've turned golden and fork-tender, and serve them with a meal of your choice or a dipping sauce.
Can I cook frozen diced potatoes in the air fryer
Yes, you can cook frozen diced potatoes in the air fryer, it might take a little longer to cook than the fresh ones but it is doable. Remember to shake the basket a few times and cook the frozen potatoes directly from frozen. There is no need to thaw it first.
How long to cook diced potatoes in the air fryer
This will depend on the thickness of the potatoes, the size, and the wattage of your air fryer. Typically diced potatoes will cook in the air fryer for about 12-15 minutes at 180C/360F.
Can I make this ahead of time?
You can make air fryer diced potatoes ahead of time and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. When you're ready to eat, simply reheat in the microwave or air fryer.
What is the best way to reheat leftover cubed potatoes
The best way to reheat leftover diced potatoes is in the air fryer at 325F/160 for 5-8 minutes, or in the microwave on high for 1-2 minutes. Be sure to stir the potatoes halfway through the cooking time to ensure even heating.
Should you parboil potatoes before air frying
Yes, you can if you prefer depending on the style of potatoes you are going for. If you just want breakfast-style potatoes then there is no need to parboil the spud first. It would cook faster because of its small size. If you want Sunday roast crispy potatoes then you can parboil the spud for a few minutes before cooking in the air fryer.